History of North Dakota DECA

As the Distributive Education Program developed, the professional members directly involved in the activities of the student of DE felt that additional curricular activity was needed to supplement the program itself. Students in Distributive Education did not have the opportunity to develop their potential in other extra curricular or co-curricular activities within the school district because they attended school in the morning and were released from school early to go to work. For the purposes of developing a respect for education in marketing and distribution and of promoting leadership and understanding of the responsibilities of citizenship in this country, the teacher-coordinators in North Dakota organized, in 1953, at Valley City High School on April 10th to form the North Dakota Association of DECA.

 

Seven high schools were represented from the following cities: Enderlin, Garrison, Jamestown, Kenmare, Minot, Valley City and Wahpeton.

 

It was voluntary to have clubs and two of the larger cities did not have clubs. A state charter was received at the eighth Annual National Convention of DECA in San Antonio, Texas, April 25-28, 1954. The first Annual North Dakota DECA Convention was held at Minot High School, October 9, 1953. Not all clubs were represented at Minot.

 

For Complete history including a list of past state officers and award recipients click on History of North Dakota DECA.