Lead Your Peers
Being a member of the Officer Team is a great way to learn more about DECA, meet hundreds of new members, make lifelong friends and develop critical professional and personal skills. As a ND DECA Leader you’re the person who will inspire new members to get involved and activate returning members to to reach for their goals. Are you up for the challenge?
ND DECA MEMBERS IN THEIR SOPHOMORE OR JUNIOR YEAR ARE ELIGIBLE TO CAMPAIGN FOR A POSITION ON THE LEADERSHIP TEAM
To be considered for a leadership position, you should have the support of your chapter and Chapter Advisor.
Successful leaders have been active members and likely served in a leadership role in their chapters. You’ve set and met goals, and you think you have more to give.
As a ND HIGH SCHOOL DECA Officer you’ll find these experiences valuable:
- Project Management
- Social Media Management
- Membership Development
- Membership Recruitment
- Time Management
- Member Resource Development
Along with the above, you’ll grow in your communication and presentation skills as the host the Fall Leadership Conference and the State Career Development Conference.
It is a privilege to serve as a state officer for North Dakota DECA. Only those members who feel they can apply themselves to the goals they set as an officer should complete the application form and run for office.
Candidates may run for the office of president or vice president for North Dakota DECA and may declare a specific position or not declare a specific position. Candidates MUST check the office(s) seeking on the application form. Candidates are not required or encouraged to campaign for a specific office.
The candidate with the highest score (portfolio, interview, and voting delegate vote) will be the president; the next six candidates will be vice presidents. If the candidate with the highest score has selected “vice president only” they will become a vice president and the candidate with the second highest score will become the president.
The president must be a senior in the 2020-2021 school year. Vice Presidents may be juniors or seniors during their term of office.
IMPORTANT DEADLINE DATES
February 5, 2020: Online Application Form Submitted
Photo (in DECA Blazer) Submitted Electronically Must have a plain white background
February 25, 2020: State Officer Test Completed and Submitted (Minus 10 points if not postmarked by this date)
March 15, 2020: Campaign Booth Constructed Interview Campaign Speech
March 15-17, 2020: Campaign Booths Open Election by Voting Delegates
March 17, 2020: New Officers Announced
June 7-10, 2020: State Officer Training (Bismarck) REQUIRED TO ATTEND
NORTH DAKOTA DECA OFFICER ELIGIBILITY FOR CANDIDACY
1. Only active members will be eligible for state office.
2. A candidate must submit the application no later than February 5, 2020.
3. A candidate must pass the state officer test with a 70% or higher score.
4. A candidate must have a 2.0 GPA or higher.
5. No more than three candidates from one chapter may apply for office.
6. Candidates must be a sophomore or junior in high school (serving as a junior or senior during their term of office)
7. Candidate must be a member of DECA on an official DECA Roster.
NORTH DAKOTA DECA OFFICER APPLICATION PROCEDURE
DECA members interested in seeking a State DECA office must complete and submit the online application and include a photo in a DECA blazer (white background) by February 5, 2020.
1. Complete application form on North Dakota DECAs website.
2. Photo of officer candidate
3. State Officer Code of Conduct Form, with all signatures to be completed and mailed with completed exam.
4. Complete exam
North Dakota State DECA ~ Officer Bylaws
1. Must be a senior in high school during the term of office.
2. Preside over and conducts state meetings in accordance with accepted parliamentary procedure.
3. Keeps the meeting to its order of business.
4. Sees that time limits are observed.
5. Works with other officers on state goals, to determine completion.
6. Responsible for assigned communication with officers and members.
7. Responsible for communication with chapter advisors and chapter presidents.
8. Prepares a list of promotional activities for each chapter to promote DECA.
1. Assist the president in any activity.
2. Seeks information from chapter each month and compiles information for social media.
3. Communicate through email and mail with all chapter advisors and chapter presidents/vice presidents as determined.
4. Keep accurate records of each meeting, including the minutes.
5. Minutes are to be typed, printed, and distributed to the state officers and state advisor no more than 14 days after the meeting.
6. Provides the state advisor and the state president with a list of potential business partners for each meeting, no later than 14 days prior to each meeting.
7. Reports financial information at state meetings.
8. Seeks, gathers, and classifies news from chapter reporters/advisors/presidents for printed newsletter or social media.
9. Works with the state advisor to prepare material for the web site or social media.
10. Promote DECA in a positive manner on all social media sites.
* All Officers will also sign and comply with the North Dakota DECA Officer Code of Conduct.
OFFICER CANDIDATE EXAM
Earning a 70% or higher on an exam about DECA Inc., and ND DECA Bylaws, history, and programs is a required step.
OFFICER CANDIDATE INTERVIEW
A 2-4 person panel will interview each candidate at the State Career Development Conference. The interview will count as 40% of the elected point total and will include questions from two specific categories: leadership and DECA. For specific question examples, download the Officer Candidate Guidelines.
OFFICER CANDIDATE SPEECHES
On Sunday, March 15, 2020 each candidate will be given time to give a 90 second prepared speechn from the podium to the members at the conference. A copy of the speech must be emailed to the state advisor by March 9, 2020. For important details about the speech, download the Officer Candidate Guidelines.